Friday, October 05, 2007

Smooth sailing ?

Ben has turned the corner on toddler bi-polar amazing rages. They have nearly ceased. Two nights ago he had a small one, then right away said to me, "I'm sorry I got mad, Mamma."

"It's OK," I said "sometimes we get so angry we can't talk about it. So we cry it out and it's OK." I had been ignoring the rage, not because I necessarily practice enlightened parenting: it's a survival tactic. For us both.

"I love you, Mom," he said.


The Pout after the Storm July 2007

Never have I been "Mom." It's such a grown-up kind of word. Not the universal baby word of MaMa--two repeated syllables which all infants in just about all cultures use for mother. Mom, and enough insight to talk about his anger.

Anyone who says two was terrible never had a three year old. But I can see the light at the end of his tunnel now. It's not Thomas or Gordon, it's Himself Emerging.

Mom.

I kind of like the ring of that.

2 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

"It's not Thomas or Gordon, it's Himself Emerging."

I love that! Isn't it a joy to see?

Cynthia Bostwick said...

Yes, it really is. Children reveal themselves to us, don't they? And they are really interesting, complex creatures. Thanks for stopping by--